Sunday, June 6, 2010

Celebrity S(F)ighting!

Hello Avid Reader! I've now told this story so many times, I'm unsure whether or not to give you the full or abbreviated version. Prose or haiku? Let me just jump in and we'll see what comes out...

Short story: I took Copper to the dog park this weekend and she got ATTACKED!

Long story: Indeed all of this is true. While Copper was running around in heaven at the dog park, a woman and her beautiful Alaskan Malamute neared the park and asked me if my little one was a boxer. Sure is! She said that her dog tends not to like boxers so much, so we agreed to keep an eye on the two of them. After two lunges at Copper, she decided to keep him on a leash while there so he'd at least get some exercise.

Unfortunately, as we both let down our guards, the big male charged Copper when he was off-leash and all hell broke loose as he ran after Copper -- who impressed me with her speed & agility! They ultimately got tangled in a heap of fence and wood chips and other dogs when we were able to get them apart -- brilliantly, no skin was even broken! To try to calm the situation, I held Copper there while the woman held hers such that we could have them close to one another for desensitization (leveraging my minor in Psychology, you see!). After 15-20 mins of idle chatter -- and the dogs getting along swimmingly! -- including the comment that her malamute sure looks like a husky(!), I introduced myself & Copper and shook her hand.

"I'm Jennifer. This is Dubs." I nearly let it go...
"Wait a minute. You mean Dubs as in the UW Husky mascot Dubs?!"
"Yeah, are you a Husky?"
"I sure am! Do you mean to tell me that Copper just got mauled by the UW mascot?!"

Avid Reader, it was BRILLIANT! Of course, brilliant that no one was hurt. And brilliant that we were deploying Psych 101, but also brilliant in that we had a celebrity sighting at the dog park! THE HUSKY MASCOT! SO COOL!

Jennifer & I have since traded emails and have talked about using Copper as (bait) a play partner to work on his boxer issues. I know Copper's game. And I look forward to serving my U in one more important way: mascot training. So...

Short story revisited: I took Copper to the dog park this weekend and she got ATTACKED! By the University of Washington Husky mascot, Dubs! A celebrity sighting! And now they might become best of friends! WOO HOO!

2 comments:

Tia said...

Please tell me you really said, "I sure am," when she asked if you are a Husky. This story is rich. Thanks for sharing. And I'm glad no dogs were injured in the making of this outing.

Meagan Elliot said...

This story IS rich!! Super rich. And studded with celebrity GLAMOUR! I won't be able to share with Caroline, though, she'd be too upset and wouldn't get the silver lining AT ALL.