Monday, April 28, 2008

Alas, not so much Seoul...

Sadly, I don't have many adventures to report from South Korea... yet! Though truthfully, the clock may run out of time before I do!

I got in late Sunday night -- after having met a guy from Fall City on the bus to the hotel who worked with two of my old business school colleagues at Microsoft. SMALL WORLD. I went straight to work this morning, and got to take it some sights on my 10-minute walk to the office. What I have noticed is that Seoul is covered in public art. All over this hotel, in front of buildings, in lobbies, on random street walls, it's amazing the amount of art you can find in this city!

I was invited to join a staff celebration at a local Chinese restaurant this afternoon -- and enjoyed fried rice in black bean sauce... with metal chopsticks. Talk about slippery little suckers!

More meetings this afternoon, including coffee with the MSN Country Manager and a meeting with a local Korean advertising agency. Interestingly, I almost concentrated myself into a coma: Avid Reader, I honestly thought that if I concentrated hard enough, I would actually understand what everyone in the room was saying. A) I was wrong. B) I focused myself into a headache. Good times!

Tonight, the MSN team helping to launch DRIVE here took me to a stellar Thai restaurant (PARK Asian Cuisine Lounge) where we enjoyed a delicious meal of things like jasmine tea, shrimp crostini and crab curry. DEELISH! Very much a fusion restaurant, the music ranged from JW30 sountrack-inspired lounge music to that from India and even Michael Bolton. It was quite something!

I tried to hit the beautiful looking shrine across the street from the hotel tonight, but was turned away by the security guard who made an 'X' with his forearms indicating the place was closed. Of course, having DRIVE on my mind all day, I almost asked him if he was signing "supply and demand".

Yes, work dominates just now (as it probably should!).

1 comment:

Meagan Elliot said...

focusing up a headache...big mistake, big, huge.