Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Got Some Seoul!

I got some Seoul! I was able to get some serious Seoul adventures in today, both as a part of work and just after!

Another busy day of meetings in the Microsoft Korea office, but for lunch, my colleagues and I trekked to the COEX Mall between my hotel and the office for Kraze Burger! After having stuffed myself silly on their basic cheeseburger, we wandered through the underground labyrinth that is the largest underground shopping center in Asia. It was especially fun to check out the Apple store-like phone/computer stores and all of their gadgets, including photos you could take that would then publish on the wall of the store! So cool.

After work, the team took me to Korean BBQ were I enjoyed house specialties like raw beef liver, raw prime steak, and steak tartare served with julienned cucumber and Asian pear (yes, that's raw ground beef). Of course, we drank that down with SoJu, a tasty little vice made from rice and tasting like sweet vodka. Deelish!

After dinner -- and repeated requests by the team to entertain more -- I said I was hoping to check out the stunning shrine near my hotel and retire somewhat early as I prepare to head back to Tokyo in the morning.

Avid Reader, though dark, Bongeunsa was INCREDIBLE. I may try to get back in the light of day to get more photos, but check out the link for some history and a few shots. I got the one above in the courtyard behind the main temple. All I could say, was 'WOAH' as I meandered the forested paths and saw a stunning garden, temple or view of the city. I also got to see a number of residents in prayer as well as the inside of a number of Buddhist shrines -- beautiful altogeter. With lanterns everywhere, it was like a carnival -- except completely silent, hundreds of years old, and with an unrivaled tranquility in the heart of a modern city.

Short story, I'm already looking forward to being back. An awesome two days of meetings as well as a taste of Seoul, literally.

And as for a couple of Seoul-ful shout-outs to friends around the world. Here's to Jace Paulson in the U.S.of.A. and to Brian Hennigan in the U.K.! I thought of each of you when I caught these visions today!

No comments: