Saturday, March 15, 2008

Daien-ji!

Good morning, Avid Reader! I FOUND IT! After wandering aimlessy through the streets of Tokyo last night, nearing being washed in to the Bay of Tokyo, and not finding Daien-ji, I was successful this morning!

From my guidebook, with my photos: Established sometime around 1615, this small, photogenic temple hemmed in by trees commemorates stillborn and miscarried chidren and aborted foetuses (sp). There are red-bonneted jizo figures (small stone statues of the Buddhist protector of travellers and children). Completely lining one of the walls are Arhat (atonement) statues of the 500 followers of Buddha, the Gohyakuran. Each stone marker, made to appease souls that departed in the great fire, has it's own design and facial expression. Water is often placed in front of the statues to ease the degree of victim's suffering.

What was amazing to me -- as it always is in old cities around the world -- was the reality of old and new in such condense space. Not fully knowing where I was going today, I was in a main intersection, then turned down a smaller one-way road and VOILA, the temple was just right there. And right next to the huge ARCO Tower! I also enjoyed additional interesting architecture, from store fronts to the Hinomuru Driving School. Yes, Driving School, complete with a road course inside for beginning drivers. It was SWEET!

All in all, it's been an awesome week here in Tokyo. I'm about to check out of the hotel here and head to the airport; my bus arrives in about 45 minutes. Having visited Daien-ji and the jizo figures, I'm psyched to get on an airplane and jet back to the States.

Thanks for joining me on this first of many adventures to come!

No comments: