Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Okonomiyaki!

For my last night in Tokyo, several members of the DRIVE Japan team and I visited a local restaurant in the Akasaka area near work to enjoy adult beverages and okonomiyaki.

Courtesy of a recommendation from everyone's favorite Australian, Liam Walsh, I recently asked the team what it was (thinking Liam was being dirty, naturally), and was treated to what might be my favorite Japanese cuisine yet!

Okonomiyaki is a baked staple in most Japanese homes; I'd equate it to pancakes in my own. Someone like a cross between pancakes and pizza (SEE? Of course, it'd be a favorite!), it's done in two styles: Osaka-style is primarily rice, eggs, cabbage -- baked, then drizzled with BBQ sauce and mayo. Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki typically replaces the rice with noodles. Regardless of style, they were both incredible and I'm exicted to have discovered a new favorite!

Of course, spending time with the DRIVE Japan team is always a highlight as well, and I already look forward to spending more time with them in Tokyo in the coming weeks.

And now to check out and head to the airport for home. U.S. Olympic athlete coverage, here I come!

2 comments:

Meagan Elliot said...

OMG, me too! My favorite!! I have a recipe and I've made it and it was GOOD, just like I had in Osaka. I even found the sauce for the top at Uwajimaya and the fish flakes, as well. Maybe next time you come to Duvall I will make it...

toddderrick said...

Hmmm... about the fish flakes. Our Japanese friends let us order them on the side as they give me the heebie jeebies. :(