Saturday, May 17, 2008

London in a Nutshell

As you may know, Avid Reader, I spent the final five days of my four-week overseas adventure in London. I ultimately went for a conference at the end of the week, but also spent a couple of days in the DRIVE UK/EMEA office. Instead of a play-by-play of adventures there, I thought I'd capture a few...

Brian Hennigan & The Volunteers
I was able to get more time with Brian before he headed to his brother's college gradulation at Tulane in New Orleans. We hit The Volunteer Pub near Regent's Park (and my conference site) for a couple of pints and more time to catch up. Definitely another London highlight... and another awesome sounding band name.

Work Crew
I got to spend some quality time with colleagues from DRIVE US and Australia while there, including Casey (my A-one travel buddy!), Shanthi, Stephen, Sarah and Liam. Interestingly, after having beer with BHennigan @ The Volunteer, then dinner with the work gang, we ended up at The Volunteer again for a "pub experience". And I have to tell you, Avid Reader, I do love a good pub experience!

Harrod's
On Thursday evening, Casey, Shanthi & I ventured to Harrod's for The Harrod's shopping experience. And did I ever! I left the store with a new suitcase with which to consolidate my duffel bag and those goodies I picked up aloing my four-week trip. Turns out, I was given the serious 3rd degree at U.S. Customs... who buys an empty suitcase and returns to country with it full?! Avid Reader, I almost didn't make it through! I'm convinced that the look in my eye of wanting to be on U.S. soil so badly passed me the muster.

Shepherd Market
That night, we also ventured around the neighborhood in order to find dinner and to have a low-key evening. Casey "had a moment" and suggested we walk down an alley. Note that it was dark (as opposed to the daylight of this photo). Upon turning the corner, we happened upon Shepherd Market and a hot spot of pubs and restaurants. We enjoyed cold beer, fish & chips, and making new British friends at The King's Arms, before picking Mayfair Tandoori for Indian. Turns out, our Australian friends just happened to be there as well. We joined them for a final dinner together in London.

Buckingham Palace
With a bit of time before racing to the airport -- and home -- I quickly crossed Green Park to see Buckingham Palace. I thought to myself, "Self, you're so close, why not?". It's not everyday one gets to stroll to Buckingham Palace afterall! Interestingly, there was something happening that morning as horse-drawn carraiges were bringing folks into the palace, dressed to the nines. Yes, at 8AM in the morning; it was brilliant!

That's my trip to London in a nutshell. It was a busy week altogether and a welcome break from having few folks to talk to for the previous three weeks!

No comments: