Monday, May 5, 2008

Monday, Lazy Monday

Today I decided to take it easy, get some work done, and enjoy the sights & sounds of my neighborhood, Shinjuku.

First, I discovered my home away from home, Starbucks, and enjoyed an iced deliciousness, read the paper and some of my book. A typical start to a lazy day, it very much reminded me of early Sunday mornings in NYC.

From there, I walked through the small shops in Shinjuku to see the life on the 'other side of the street' (I'm staying closer to government buildings & hotels).Before heading back to the hotel to work, I decided to venture through Shinjuku Central Park -- the park I overlook from my hotel room. It was a melting pot of people, from the old & bored, to dog-walkers, to homeless, to young families enjoying the play areas, to skaters enjoying open paved space.

My favorite experience was catching this amazing footballer practice his skills while students of some kind of traditional instrument were practicing right behind him at the same time. It was a perfect encapsulation of the Tokyo soul: a combination of young & old, hip & traditional. Here's to you, Japan...

1 comment:

Musings of a Mad Hatter said...

was that like a performance park? Everybody seemed to be doing something?