Thursday, June 19, 2008

GONPACHI & ICE BAR

My last night in Tokyo was a SUPER one! First, we enjoyed GONPACHI -- a local favorite turned tourist magnet as the restaurant inspired the Crazy 8s fight scene setting in Kill Bill.

I had wanted to get to this yakitori and "Japanese Dish" restaurant since I've started coming to Tokyo... and it happened! We enjoyed a smorgasbord of Japanese dishes as well as a fount of biru and sake and had a great time altogether. Ryan also had his first opportunity to enjoy foie gras of all things!

After, we made our way to ICE BAR, an ABSOLUT blast of a bar made completely of ice! Given that the temperature in the room is -5 degrees Celsius, we could only be in the bar for 45 minutes, but the parkas kept us warm throughout our adventure!

We tried to hit another bar close to ICE BAR after with June and Mari, but were told it was a 5,000 Yen cover charge for the gents. Avid Reader, they wanted $50 for us to sit in an empty bar. SHIN-GE-LA-DA-NIGH! Of course, we went next door and were welcomed with open arms by The Captain -- ever my faithful friend in spite of country!

So, Tokyo Trip Three concludes as a roaring success. I'm sitting in the airport lounge now, having just heard the boarding announcement for my flight. I will wake up in Seattle, then head to San Jose for the weekend! Good times and more travel adventures to come (though not in APAC in the short term)! Thanks for joining me, Avid Reader! Here's to you:

No comments: