Monday, June 23, 2008

Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear

I'm just home from an awesome weekend in San Jose with my friend Charles Newton to see our friend Tim Grieb. Should you not know Tim Grieb, Avid Reader, he's the kind of person I've always considered myself lucky to call my friend.

Tim underwent his second open-heart surgery 5/28 -- this time for a complete aorta replacement. This weekend was a chance to get to see Tim three-weeks out of surgery and just to hang out. The weekend was a 10 altogether!

Charles and I arrived to 100+ degree temperatures Friday night that didn't let up until Sunday morning. In the meantime, however, we enjoyed walks through air-conditioned malls, drives in our air-conditioned convertible (too hot to put the top down!), and states of not moving in front of the television. We also got to go to Tim's brother's final regular season Arena Football game. With the game (which the SaberCats won), we were treated to The Real World: Grieb-style.

With the temperatures dropping to the mid-90s, we took the top down afterall, and ventured to the SaberCats Fan Fest for season ticket holders. We were treated to some awesome BBQ, time with the SaberKittens, and a one-mile therapy walk around the nearby track. In addition, we hijacked Tim's Dad Rich for Guy Night on the town with The Incredible Hulk. Rich nearly got his butt whipped by the Kung-Fu Panda, but the three of us youngins interceded.

Today, the three of us ran errands and hiked a trail nearby Tim's house -- one that he grew up mountain biking. YES! We hiked! It was a short one altogether, but an additional treat along with seeing where he grew up, hearing the echoes of the stories in the Grieb home, and seeing Tim doing SO well altogether!

From recollecting old stories to watching 'Entourage' to talking new music (OK, less me than them, but I was still there afterall!), it was just the weekend needed with my dear friend Tim. I have been following his blog religiously... and emotionally... since its first post.

Life seemed as it should be for the weekend. No, that's a lie. Avid Reader, life seemed precious. And Tim a treasure. As he has been to me since that day I was lucky enough to meet him.

I love you, Tim Grieb.

No comments: