Tuesday, November 25, 2008

AlaskAdventures!

What a weekend! Save the zuking, I couldn't have scripted a more awesome weekend with old friends. As I sit here trying to find words that will become this post, I'm caught in a mode of reminiscence and celebration. Seriously, Avid Reader, what a weekend.

Meagan and I enjoyed yet another amazing meal at Ludvig's on Saturday night. Tucked into a two-top alongside the window, we easily swept through two baskets of Colette's fresh-baked potato bread and enjoyed listening in on the date going on beside us. "Help me remember this color (pointing to the wall). I love this color. It's kind of like flan. Do you know what flan is? It's kind of a caramel-y... gel."

A killer Caesar, Ludvig's famous chowder, seafood pasta, and wood-finished salmon later, we capped the night with creme brulee and a surprising post-close dance party with the staff. Andy, Stephanie, Joe and Cedar joined Colette, Meagan and I in jamming to 80s hits and signing at the top of our lungs. We relived our Pendleton days with the Western Swing and impressed the locals with a fall pyramid. Yes, you heard it here first, I joined the PHS Class of '90 head cheerleaders in a fall pyramid right smack in the heart of Sitka, Alaska. It was my first, but you wouldn't have known it!

Sadly, not long after the cheer of all cheers did the night taper off... and the flu taper on. I hit an odd wall at the end of the night and thought jet lag was rearing its ugly head. Fast-forward through most of Sunday spent in bed, on the floor, on the couch, but with my dear friends the entire time. Sadly, this meant that we didn't get to go hiking or experience more of Sitka itself, but we did get to maximize pajama time and time spent with one another. Definitely a win.

We also got to spend the evening with two of Colette's friends: Ellen and Jason. Ellen is an independent filmmaker and gave us a sneak peek at her latest project, "Eating Alaska", a documentary about eating locally, food sustainability, and what happens when a vegetarian marries a hunter and moves to Alaska. Serious and hilarious at the same time, it was a such a treat to get a private screening with the filmmaker and star herself! Thanks Ellen!

And later in the evening, we convinced Jason to come by to hang out. And by 'hang out' I mean the night turned into an impromptu talent show whereby we all enjoyed lip syncing, singing karaoke, and dancing up a storm! Colette & Meagan owned 'Take a Chance on Me' while Jason & I inspired with 'You are Loved (Don't Give Up)'. We all had individual performances on top of group medleys and before long, we realized it was morning, we hadn't showered all day, I had't puked in about four hours, and we had one of the most fun nights altogether. As my father asked me to share, "I love those kids", it was exactly what I felt throughout the evening as we had a night so similar to those we had growing up: good, clean (OK, mostly clean!), organic fun.

Monday morning came way too fast and Meagan and I had to say goodbye to Colette and leave Sitka. But not without more Palin impresions and long farewells to our friend from the North.



Looking back, I can only smile and feel like Mike: I love you kids!

2 comments:

Meagan Elliot said...

I love you, too. Thank you, Dear Friend, for the most fabulous weekend ever!!!! And thank you for capturing it so perfectly in your blog. I've got a little news flash for you, Todd; you've gotcherself an Avid Reader for life.
xoxo, Meg

Tia said...

It sounds like you guys had such a grand time. Thanks for the recap!
Glad you're feeling better, too.