Thursday, November 13, 2008

Go Do Some Work!

Hello again! While I've not got a lot of story to tell, I have a couple of doozies after another long work day.

After work this evening, we ventured into more of the heart of Mumbai to a key shopping area such that Sarah and I could check out some of the local wares. After visiting a couple of shoe places, fabric stores, and jewelry shops, Shilpa, Malavika, Gautham, Sarah and I enjoyed an awesome local favorite restaurant, Out of the Blue. Fast forward fondue and several KingFisher and I am now back in my hotel room laughing at two specific experiences...

1. When asked what I'd love to see tonight, I responded, "cows, elephants, and beautiful Indian clothes". Interestingly, the thought of cattle in the heart of the city of Mumbai made the India team chuckle. And here I thought the likelihood of seeing an elephant outside of a zoo had no greater chance than a Sarah Palin in an election! Cows in the middle of the street close enough to touch outside my car window? Check.

2. While shopping, there were more street vendors than I'll likely ever see again. Those with booths and those selling everything from nuts to puppets to handerchiefs to underwear. There were also a handful of beggars who would quietly shadow until I started to walk away... at which point the kids would appear in an attempt to try to win me over... holding even more kids. At one point, a boy started grabbing my shirt and my colleague Malavika quickly appeared to shoo the poor kid away by saying something in Hindi. "What did you say?", I asked. "What I tell all kids who are bothersome," she replied. "Go do some work."

No comments: