Saturday, February 28, 2009

Hong Kong!

I'm in Hong Kong! Save the significant layover from India to Korea in November, this is my first visit to this amazingly history-rich city!

First impressions?
- It's far less "British" than I imagined. I have to admit, I have no idea where that idea came from.
- Man, there are a lot of apartment buildings!
- The island style of roads -- and construction thereon -- reminds me a lot of my visit to St.Maarten in 2004.
- Lots of slope and water management on the hills.
- I was expecting more shiny & new, forgetting that this is a history-rich city (see note above).
- The high was 73F at best today. I was sweating like a stuck pig on a hot Mississippi afternoon... yes, while the sun was down and the entire city was clouded over.
- This place is UNBELIEVABLE! The architecture is awesome (save the apts)!

I walked the heart of Hong Kong all afternoon and got to take sights and sounds, including a look at Victoria Harbour from The Peak. Unfortunately, it wasn't a clear day here, but it may be the best, so I took advantage. I studied the map and found my way at the base of the Peak Tram in no time at all. Turns out, hundreds of other folks had the same idea. Nothing like a tourist trap... and I'll happily go along!

I stayed atop the 370m peak for quite a while, just taking in the view. I watched fog roll in, cruise ships -- miniaturized below -- stroll in & out, and breaths taken at everyone's first glimpse of the world below. This place really is a sea of skyscrapers right up to the mountains. Wholly impressive!

More trapsing around the city and a wonderful Thai dinner later and I'm back at the hotel preparing to have a full day at my disposal tomorrow. Adventures to come for sure... I've got a doozie of a day planned!

No comments: