Monday, August 31, 2009

Why I Love Japan.

Avid Reader, I love this place. Let me tell you a couple of stories -- just about this hotel -- and you will also be in love.

- Upon checking in: "Welcome back, Mr. Moore. We would be honored to upgrade your room to a deluxe for your stay." Umm... OK!

- Hand-written, personally signed... "Dear Mr. Moore, Welcome and thank you for staying with us. It is our utmost pleasure and honor to serve you. Please enjoy your visit." Know what?! I think they actually mean it!!

- "We understand you lost your trousers and have placed them in your room for you. Please notice them.". Background: I *thought* I may have left my favorite pair of shorts here on my last visit. I asked the concierge this morning -- after my complimentary breakfast buffet, of course (!) -- who asked my room number, then proceeded to tell me that I checked out in May (5/13 to be exact) and she "will do my best" to find them. Sure enough, I return to my room tonight to a shopping bag on my desk, a flashing phone message, and my dry cleaned, mind you, shorts... from over 3 months ago. This is in stark contrast to me leaving something (my camera) in the reception area of the high-end hotel I stayed at in Boston a couple of years ago and there being no record of it at 7AM the next morning. Some things that make you go hmmm...

Save the soaking I got this morning on the way to the office thanks to typhoon season, I'm excited to be here again. After dinner tonight with colleagues from Hong Kong at Gonpachi, I'm heading to bed exhausted yet contented. It's going to be a great week!

2 comments:

Jesse Paulson said...

This sounds like a free and easy way to get your laundry done. Very thrifty Todd Moore!

Meagan Elliot said...

The good news is that stuff like this makes you love Japan even more! The bad news is it kinda makes you hate America a little bit.