Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Why I Love Japan, pt.2

Wouldn't you know, another odd incident and my continued adoration of Japan grows. After dinner last night with folks from the Regional office (Hong Kong), I catch a cab to my hotel. On the way to the taxi stand, I check my phone: 10:46PM. Early night. I'll be able to get some good sleep.

I arrive at hotel, quickly check email for messages from Europe and New York, then start to settle for the evening. Which includes setting my alarm for the morning and mapping how to spend my time (particularly with 8AM & 9AM calls with Seattle and Sydney, respectively). The alarm is on my phone. Small problem: NO PHONE!

After tearing apart the room -- after having downed a sleeping aid, mind you -- I still can't find the phone. In my hazy step-retracing, I realize that it must have falled out of my backpack in the cab. I figure to myself, "Self, it is long gone."

Or is it?!

I quickly recall the hotel finding and delivering my shorts and decide to give the hotel another challenge. "What color is your phone?" "Black." "Can you bring the receipt to the front desk, please?" It is 12:36.

I wake up to a note under my door and a flashing message on the phone: "We have located your mobile phone. It is at the front desk."

Shore enough, it was in the backseat of the cab... the driver of which returned to the hotel at 3:15AM to drop the phone off. I love Japan.

No comments: