Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Loop

Saskia & I walked a significant Paris mile today, took in some incredible sights, enjoyed my old neighborhood, and shopped hard. I'm surprised we made it out again for dinner and to see more sights tonight, but we are adventurers!

We started the day on a Metro adventure to La Bastille where we had to find a boutique Saskia was intent on discovering. And did we (she!) ever! I have to admit, it might have been one of the most charming shops I've been in. Spacious, well decorated, cool stuff. Merci was definitely a 10.

From there, we passed my old boulangerie, grocery, and front door! 11 Rue Castex was my home for the fall of 1999; an address (and door) I'll always remember. We hopped right around the corner to Ile St. Louis, then enjoyed some time in the Notre Dame gardens. Of course, it wouldn't be an adventure without a photo shoot -- and we indulged.

Centre Pompidou was on our list, but shopping & lunch beckoned. We accomplished both in the Marais, including the latter at what was my favorite restaurant in Paris: Pizza St. Antoine. I say favorite because it was my first meal here when I moved and has that special place. Relative to the pizza and Carlsbergs? Just as hot and cold as I remember both!

For dinner tonight, Saskia & I ventured out again (barely!) and decided we needed to see the Eifel Tower at night. We've had glimpses, of course, but nothing full-on until this evening. It was drizzling, so our time was ultimately cut short, but it was long enough to capture Gustav's wonder yet again.

I'm just now back at the hotel, ready to put this Saturday night -- and final night in Paris -- to bed. I have a short list of To Do's before our train to London. Sadly, this list excludes food shopping as I'm now 0-the world on trying to bring back my favorite cookie of all time, Le Petit Ecolier's Chocolate Caramel biscuit. I know, I know! That said, bonne nuit, mon ami!

No comments: