Sunday, July 6, 2008

Bondi Beach

I got up (late) today and decided to figure out and brave Sydney's public transportation. A believer in incentives, I put Bondi Beach at the end of the line such as to treat myself to a literal Day at the Beach!

Had I arrived earlier in the day, I definitely would have taken surf lessons. Instead, however, I watched others try to learn, did some journaling, and just watched the world of Bondi: surfers bobbing, kids building, mostly locals running & sunning and doing things Australians do.

As I sat there, the Coast Walk beckoned and I made my way south from Bondi to Waverly Cemetery. It was quite the little hike -- 3.5km of Pacific Ocean views with bays and beaches just calling my name. I smiled at the entrepreneurship of the sand volleyballers at Tamarama -- lessons! -- and caught the picnicers at Bronte. I also caught a couple of teenagers caught up in the romance of the view. Silly kids.

The cemetery itself was something to see. I almost turned back just before I got there, but am glad I didn't. Again, a believer in rewards, I promised myself gelato if I made it all the way! Having said that, songs from two of the most powerful movies of all time hit my iPod as I made it through: a song from Glory and 'Miserere' from The Mission. Spooky and powerful in their own right, it was doubly so in this setting.

I hiked back to Bondi, found dinner at a nearby restaurant and enjoyed the view and today's paper. I watched twilight rear her stunning head, then bussed back into Sydney.

And yes, I had gelato.
Chocolate.
With chocolate shavings.

No comments: