Monday, July 14, 2008

The Cigarette Hunter

Avid Reader, I almost titled this entry "DRIVE Japan", but then realized that you might be more inclined to read with what was to be the subtitle. Was I right?

I spent the day with the DRIVE Japan team at an all-day meeting. I was the guest speaker for the first 1.5 hours, then I sat through eight straight hours (yes, 8) of Japanese. Interestingly, I was starting to get it! Not the Japanese, mind you, but based on English words being thrown out every so often as well as gestures, I could actually follow along. Of course, my brain hurts now.

The other good thing about all-day meetings with dinner in the same building? No need to go outside! I walked the 20 minutes back to my hotel tonight... dripping with sweat. It's after 11PM here and the temp is showing 91 degrees... without humidity.

OK, back to the title as I know you're thinking I'm crazy. So, we got to talking tonight at dinner (Chinese. Where I enjoyed Shark Fin Soup for the first time)... the topic was where would you like to work if you didn't have to work from an office. "The Beach" was a popular retort. I surprised myself when I said "the mountains", thinking only of my parents stunning cabin in Crouch, ID. With that answer, and clarifying "in the woods with pine trees and deer", one of the sales guys engaged me in the following conversation:

"Do you hunt deers?"
"No, but my Dad does. Do you hunt?"
"I am hunter."
"Oh? What do you hunt?"
"I am Cigarette Hunter!"

I love Japan.


p.s. Another side story -- I watched TV the other night for the first time in Japan since I've started traveling here. Turns out, I caught the Japan women's volleyball team take on Brazil. And nearly fell out of my chair when I saw the setter's name. Yet another reason why I love this place.

2 comments:

Meagan Elliot said...

Do you know how to say "heavy smoker" in Japanese?

Hebi sumoka. For reals!

I loved this blog entry and your keen eye on the telemavision!!!

digital contrarian said...

mate you have to practise saying okonomiyaki - you get points with the locals for that one!


walsh