Thursday, July 3, 2008

Darling Harbor & Balmain

G'day Mate! I will have to post the few photos I have later as I've forgotten to bring my USB cord to the office this morning. I wanted to provide a quick update on adventures to date in Sydney all the same, however!

Yesterday was Day One in the Sydney DRIVE/Atlas office. It's in a charming neighborhood -- much like Fremont in Seattle -- in an area that is developing as Sydney's online neck of the woods. It's an open, quiet office here and I'm trying to encourage 80's Friday. It's also now 7/4 here -- so it's up to the two Americans in this office & I to show them our USA Pride! Hot dogs, anyone?!

My days start with a walk across Darling Harbor on Pyrmont Bridge with a stop at a line-free Starbucks. (Starbucks isn't so popular Down Under. In fact, my colleagues celebrated the closing of the Starbucks in their neighborhood as we drove by the abandoned storefront last night.) The office is a charming 15-minute walk from my hotel and affords me the opportunity to take in the beautiful Aussies who are similarly work-bound. Interestingly, Avid Reader, it's the dead of winter here... so heavy winter coats and scarves are seemingly the norm. Friend, it's 50 degrees in the morning -- heaven to me!

After work, I ventured to Balmain, a working class suburb of Sydney now becoming a bit of a hot spot, with my DRIVE AU colleagues Stephen Dolan and Sarah Ward. We enjoyed several rounds at The London Hotel and dinner after with Sarah's boyfriend Johnathan at Pomegranate Thai.

My evening plans include another night out with Sarah & her posse in Balmain at La Boheme. I'm also in the process of planning my weekend tourist adventures such that I have fun stories and photos to post in the coming days!

Aight, I must start my work day now... granted, it's the fourth of July, and I should be celebrating America's independence, but instead I shall continue to coordinate DRIVE in Japan and work on instilling 80's Friday in Sydney! WOOT!

No comments: