Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Last Day


I spent my final day in Sydney enjoying just that: Sydney!

I started the day with the aim of taking in Sydney and all her glory -- and started atop the Sydney Tower! Best, I could see out to the Pacific Ocean and Bondi Beach where I enjoyed adventures last weekend. I also caught Centennial Park -- home of the 2000 Olympics. I got a great shot of the DRIVE office such as to be able to show my colleague Saskia and by which I could remember my morning walk for the past couple of weeks. Of course, I caught photos of the Sydney Harbor -- interestingly, they have free telescopes on their viewing platform such that I could see all the way across the Taronga zoo... and watch the giraffes! INCREDIBLE! I also mapped out my walk for the day, including a tour of St. Mary's and around The Domain and the Royal Botanic Gardens.

Upon descending, I toured through Hyde Park to catch some day-in-the-life action. The city looks stunning in anticipation of World Youth Day -- St. Mary's is no exception as that is where many festivities are centered. They recently restored the marble floor as well as built a new altar. Interestingly, they also revealed a commissioned painting of the Virgin Mary & Baby Jesus that's stirred all kinds of controversy with its Australian portrayal of a young Sydneysider Mary and blue-eyed Jesus. Brilliant!

I stopped at the Art Gallery of New South Wales in The Domain to check out a few exhibits (note: I *love* free entry museums -- they're so accessible to all). My favorite work in the museum was by Jon Molvig. Not only did it remind me of my dear friends John Weaver and Amy McKenna who are marrying ONE WEEK FROM TODAY, it was simply my favorite in the place altogether!

I enjoyed a phone call with friend Jesse Paulson as I sat on a rock overlooking Andrew (Boy) Charlton Pool and Woolloomooloo Bay, including Russell Crowe's alleged home. I caught Mrs. Macquaries Chair and more shots of downtown and the Sydney Opera House, this time from the East looking West. Awesome altogether.

I saw the infamous bats in the Botanic Gardens. Yes, Avid Reader, I just said BATS. No one really seemed to be bothered by the cat-sized vampires hanging from the trees overhead. Is it just me?! Am I CrAzY?!


Friends Jodie & Kai then met me and we went straight to The Australian Hotel where we dined on Australian pizzas. And not with just any toppings, Avid Reader, but with Emu and Kangaroo! Deelish! We walked around The Rocks and out on the Harbor Bridge where we caught more shots of the Harbor... and Sydney highlights.

I could go on and on about the day; in short, it was a '10' and the perfect ending to my Sydney fling. I leave knowing I'll miss her as I would a familiar & comfortable friend.

Good bye, my friend. And thank you!


2 comments:

toddderrick said...

p.s. anyone else think that the (dimly lit, I know) Virgin Mary painting looks eerily similar to Natalie Portman? The ultimate Celebrity Look-Alike.

Tia said...

Natalie Portman has a twin and it is she.....