Sunday, May 31, 2009

2009 USAV Nationals

I realize it's been on your mind since I teased a Nationals entry, hhu! Avid Reader, your wait is over! Nationals 2009 has come and gone. And with it, a collection of memories & stories, of wins & losses, and of renewed commitments to the game & thoughts of retirement.

You may be dying to hear how my team fared. What I will say to you, Avid Reader, is that we did not finish well per se, but had an interesting run...

Day One -- Pool Play
Started strong in the most nervous game of the tournament -- the first one! Literally shellacked the opposite team, then broke down and lost the next two games to start the tournament 0-1 and to chalk up a loss to a team we never should have lost to. Ouch. Game Two was more of the same as we came out strong in the first game, to quickly fall apart and lose the next two. 0-2. Trouble. Game three was our wake-up call, however! Against a solid team (called United Nations -- foreshadowing), we ended the first day with a strong three-game win to finish the day, 1-2. I am encouraged; I have visions of playing until I'm 80.

Day Two -- Pool Play
The morning did not start as the afternoon had left off. Instead, we came out flat and altogether off. We lost 0-2 to a team we not only should have competed better against, but should have beaten. However, we were terrible, both as a team and as a volleyball team. So, a loss to start the morning; now 1-3 overall. Next two matches against the top two teams in our pool... both of whom we smoked! Madman definitely turned it around to finish pool play (3-3) and with hopes of going to the Gold/Silver challenge bracket (for the top teams)!

Wah-WAAAAAAAAAH. Our Top 20 seeding was not meant to be. We finished in a three-way tie for 2nd in our pool of parity and based on tie-break rules, secured the #4 seed and were sent to the Bronze/Copper challenge bracket. Interestingly, had we tied with either one of the other two teams in our three-way tie, we would have secured the #2 seed outright. It just wasn't meant to be. Day 2 ends and I'm feeling mixed emotions. I'm thinking to myself, 'Self, is this roller coaster fun or is it the Matterhorn: looks fun from afar, but very uncomfortable while riding.'

Day Three -- Tournament
And our spirits weren't high enough to sustain us in the Bronze/Copper bracket as we dropped the challenge match to go to Bronze and ended up in Copper. And if they weren't low enough, we played United Nations again in a loser-out match in the Copper bracket... and instead of going 2-1 this time against them, they pulled out game #3 to send us packing. So, Avid Reader, we finished the tournament 3-5 overall (9-12 in games) to take 47th (out of 52). We were 1-2-BBQ in the tournament, but based on our record, we ultimately placed 9th in Copper.

Now, if that recap wasn't enough to whet your whistle, then this will -- check out my USAV Nationals photos. I took the majority, but my camera became communal and a number of Seattlites chipped in to take photos while my team was on the court or while my hands were full.

Overall, it was another great year at Nationals as I got to see and hang out with friends I oddly only get to do about once a year. As always, it was a hoot to cheer on other Seattle teams and bond with those I normally only compete with throughout the indoor season.

And so another season closes in my volleyball story. As promised above, Nationals gives me renewed hope in playing as I do experience joy on the court (for the most part) and past Nationals performances give me confidence to continue playing at a high level. However, given my infrequent court time, gearing up takes longer, I move a bit slower during, and hurt a bit more after. What I do know for sure: I will reevaluate like I always do come the next season!

No comments: