Friday, May 8, 2009

Sydney Sights

G'day, Avid Reader! And happy weekend! It seems it was a tough week the world over; I, too, am pleased to welcome the weekend. And did I ever! I opted out of a trip out of Sydney to the Blue Mountains (an ode to my own Blue Mountain heritage) and the Jenolan Caves, and opted instead of a leisurely morning and trapse around my immediate neck of the woods.

Specifically, I enjoyed a quiet cappuccino and toasted, buttered banana bread (this is so popular!) and the morning paper at Lime Restaurant, then delivered on a promise to myself to check out Wildlife World and the Sydney Aquarium right in Darling Harbour.

I was one of the first three folks in the door @ WW, so thankfully I was a able to rush through the arachnids and reptiles without tripping over unsuspecting patrons or small children (likely held against their will). I was literally one of the only people around to take part in the morning bird feeding. I honestly wasn't sure who got the best of the porridge as I left with it all over my shirt. Good times!

The big draw of course was being able to see kangaroos and koalas, even though I quickly realized I had the same adventure @ Taronga Zoo the last time I was here. Having bonded with the RooKeep, I was the only adult who he let pet the red kangaroos while they were feeding! Of course, once the Japanese tourists saw me past the barrier, all hell nearly broke loose as they tried to desend on the marsupials, too. Let's just say I quickly bolted for the Koala Zone from there.

Not wanting to push my luck after the bird assualt and pat-a-kanga, I didn't stay for the Koala feeding, but instead enjoyed the little ones from afar, as well as the cassowary -- the most dangerous bird in the world! (if not the most ugly) -- and some inanimate or otherwise dormant wombats. All in all, it was quite the adventurous World of Wildlife for sure!

As leaked above, I also enjoyed the Sydney Aquarium and was quickly reminded of 'Finding Nemo' as cries of "Nemo!", "Dory!", & "Gil!" were the norm. I was secretly pleased. Highlights, of course, were the two playful platypus (that I confirmed were no bigger than an anemic pineapple, Jesse! Seriously, probably only twice the size of HodgePodge. The size of a beaver... puh-SHAW!), the freakishly close and watchful crocodile (along with a memorable warning), um... SHARKS!, and the featured attraction: dungongs, the mermaids of the sea! Two of only six "sea cows" in captivity are at the Sydney Aquarium and are therefore captured in my photos and in the memory of my trip.

I ended the first half of the day with lunch in the sun in The Rocks, a walk along Circular Quay to take in the beautiful Sydney Harbor and to capture a fun shot in my Sounders jersey (see previous post). Good times altogether -- and now I gear up for Saturday night adventures with friends! More to come, Avid Reader. Thanks for enjoying my Saturday with me!

p.s. sadly, Tia, no meerkats, but this little rock wallaby got a huge hello in your honor instead!

1 comment:

Tia said...

thanks for sharing a new sloucher! :O)